Tips for Preparing for Child Custody in California Court
It is in the best interests of both the spouses and their kids to try for an out of court custody settlement without bitterness or complications while getting divorced in California. After all, you would not want to make things even messier while parting from your partner.
Here are some of those handy tips to prepare for a child custody case if the negotiations on your out of court settlement fail:
- List down all those witnesses who could be summoned when your case goes to trial.
- You should follow the orders of the court thoroughly with respect to issues related to your kids, no matter what your spouse is doing.
- Maintain all the details related to the communications related to issues related to child custody along with the timesharing details.
- In case your child is not living with you, it is recommended that you personally pick or drop them, every time you meet them.
- You need to collect sufficient evidence for proving your case of child custody.
- If possible, try to review the style of your parenting so that it can be improved. –Often the judges make their decisions on visitation and child custody, looking at what is best for your children. It has been observed for instance that when the kids have been staying with their mom since the time their parents separated, judges usually like to maintain status quo for the interests of the kids.
- You need to behave in a responsible manner so that your kids are safe and away from all types of harm. Is your spouse abusing your children? If that is the case, you need to consult agencies or professionals who are experts in dealing with handling cases of child abuse. Such professionals have the necessary expertise and experience to appreciate your predicament as they are skilled to deal with domestic violence and are the right kind of people who have the capability of safeguarding your kids when the divorce proceeding is going on and also after your divorce.
- It is a sensible decision to consult an experienced attorney who has the expertise to deal with disputes related to child custody in California.
- You need to be completely honest with the attorney about your present lifestyle and personal history.
- If you are unaware about the process of dispute related to child custody, request your attorney to explain it to you.
Getting divorced in California can be complicated. Download our free eBook, 18 Important Things to Know About California Divorce to educate yourself on the process.
Are you planning to get a divorce quite soon? Divorcing your spouse is an extremely critical decision in your life and its consequences can prolong for your entire life. Constraints…
Child custody disputes often proceed at a high-stress level. They are stressful on the parents, their attorneys, the judges who have to decide custody and the children involved in the…