Child Custody Solutions That Preserve Parent-Child Relationships
Our goal in all child custody cases is to serve the best interests of children whose parents are separating or divorcing. Our attorneys balance this responsibility with the task of helping a client (mother or father) obtain the best child custody outcome and maintain and preserve the crucial parent-child bond.
At Maggio Law, we handle all facets of the California divorce process and other aspects of family law, representing mothers and fathers throughout Orange County.
Common Issues In Custody And Co-Parenting
Our experienced lawyers can educate you about child custody under California family law and address all custody-related issues you may be dealing with:
- Out-of-state relocation by one parent
- Negotiating the parenting plan and schedule
- Child support obligations
These child-centered matters are fraught, complicated and often require skilled legal attention. But with our team, you can get the answers you need to questions like those below.
What Does Custody Look Like In California?
The law recognizes custody statuses in three primary forms. They are:
- Legal custody: This is the legal authority over decisions about the child’s welfare, education, health and lifestyle. Legal custody allows people the authority to do the act of parenting.
- Physical custody: This aspect of custody refers to where the child resides. Physical custody represents the day-to-day presence in the life of your children.
- Visitation: In cases where only one parent has physical custody, visitation is an important right. This allows parents without custody the chance to be in their children’s lives.
The courts in California vastly prefer joint legal and physical custody. It is much rarer for the court to award sole custody, and it closely reviews the circumstances before making such a determination.
How Do California Courts Determine Child Custody?
First and foremost, the court’s priority is the “best interests of the child.” While this is a simple concept, courts across California must provide consistency and look at factors such as:
- The physical and emotional well-being of the child
- The child’s relationships with parents, other family and the community
- The child’s age
- Any history of violence or substance abuse
The hope is to provide comprehensive, thoughtful reasoning for the court’s choices while preserving the child’s relationships and happiness.
Determining what is in your child’s best interests is, frustratingly, beyond your direct control. What matters most is that each step you take is with an eye toward providing a loving, caring environment for your kids.
What You Can Expect From Working With Our Team
We understand that your children mean everything to you and that you want to shield them from the fallout of divorce. You can count on us at Maggio Law for:
- Clear explanation of the relevant laws and their impact
- Careful consideration of your child’s best interests
- A strategy for obtaining your desired results
- Assistance with deciding on the right approach: Aggressive or conciliatory? Adversarial or collaborative?
- Cost-effective services
At Maggio Law, we will work with you to customize a child custody solution suitable for your circumstances. This means reaching an understanding of what is realistic, what is best for your children and what will best preserve and strengthen the parent-child relationships.
We fight for your rights with compassion, experience and professionalism to achieve fast and fair results so that you can get on with your life. No one ever wants to be involved in a lawsuit, but we are here to help at those times when experienced and informed legal representation is necessary.
Let’s Find A Solution That Works For You
Discuss your child custody issue with an aggressive, personable and understanding lawyer. Learn what will likely be required to resolve your case fairly and expediently. Perhaps mediation is the best approach for your family. Call 949-227-3001 or email Maggio Law. We are at your service.